Have you ever wondered….Where did the expression “Belly Aching” originate?
When Donald Duck made his debut in 1934 his opening lines were, “Not me, I’ve got a belly ache.” He, and we, have been ‘belly aching’ ever since.
Where did we get the saying, “What in the Sam Hill is that?”
Sam Hill is a Mercantile store in Prescott, AZ that was known for its diverse and unusual inventory. The original Sam Hill Mercantile building still stands on Montezuma Street in Prescott, AZ and is listed on the register of Historic Places and the saying is thought to originate there. People who knew of Sam Hills would ask, “What in the Sam Hill?” when they found something very unusual. The saying spread.
What good are cockroaches?
Certain species of cockroach pollinate specific flowers in the tropics. Cockroaches are scavengers eating debris (plant and animal), and cockroaches are beneficial for medical/clinical research on the effects of chemicals/radiation on nerves.
From where did the expression “mind your p’s and q’s” originate?
There are several theories. The most accurate is likely from the days of the printing press when the typesetter had to be careful not to confuse the two or when children were taught to write and spell, but the most intriguing is probably the story from English pubs and taverns of the seventeenth century. Bartenders would keep a watch on the alcohol consumption of the patrons; keeping an eye on the pints and quarts, as drinks were often served in pint jars or quart containers. As a reminder to the patrons not to drink too much, the bartender would recommend they “mind their Ps and Qs”.
Why do we sing Auld Lang Syne on New Years each year?
Why do we say “God bless you” when a person sneezes?
The expression began during the sixth century and the Bubonic Plague epidemic. A sneeze at that time could mean the person was soon to die. It is attributed to Pope Gregory the Great.
What does “gesundheit”mean?
The word is German and it means ‘health’. A sneeze usually indicates illness and the person who says “gesundheit” is wishing the person good health.
About how many people are 18 years old or older who live in the USA?
There are approximately 390,000,000 people living in the USA. 296,400,000 of these people are age eighteen or older.
- In a library in Prescott AZ (catknelsonsblog.wordpress.com)
- The Gesundheit Factor… November 26, 2011 (jonathots.wordpress.com)
- Why Do You Try My Patience? (tadams4u.wordpress.com)
- Blessings customs under the microscope (therisingmuse.com)
- As Long As You’re in My Classroom, You’ll Abide By My Rules: No Blessing Anyone! (interesting12.wordpress.com)
- California Teacher Docks Points if Students Say “Bless You” (homeschoolinghelicoptermama.wordpress.com)
- Why do sneezes get all the blessings, and not the burps or… (geekgirl415.com)
- The Roach… (titefleurmauve.wordpress.com)