Word for Today
A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22
Just for Fun
We had great fun with our grandchildren after telling them that school lunches were going to be healthier and they might not have as much sugar and other unhealthy ingredients in their food in the future. They began to ask questions that only a thirteen and eleven year old would ask. This led to some silliness I decided to share. The boys began to envision a world where the government decides what we are allowed to eat. Here is a picture of what could happen in that world. 🙂
- Police raids on snack houses.
- Arrest at airports for luggage lined with M&M’s.
- Mug shots of criminals with a creme mustache.
- Arrest made of those smuggling corn chips into the country.
- Helicopters bearing heat detection cameras checking for folks cooking doughnuts.
- DUIs for driving under the influence of sugar and grease.
- Dogs trained to sniff out cookie crumbs.
- Elections on whether to legalize lollipops.
- Politicians exposed for owning heavy stashes of junk foods.
- Police checking walls for chocolate marks after an arrest is made.
- Teenagers calling their dads because they have been busted for being caught with ‘Little Debbie’.
Obama gave a good speech. He is in fact a good orator. I found myself enjoying parts of his speech.
According to Obama, our nation needs to begin to cut spending while building a better infrastructure that will compete with Japan, China and other nations and improve our schools and technology. We need more green jobs and less subsidizing of oil companies. His closing line was (speaking of the two parties), “We will move forward together or not at all.”
The speech sounded reasonable, but when examined closely, there are some major questions raised.
All in all, it was a speech that was intended to soothe the nation and convince Americans that Barack Obama will be able to handle the debt and the problems that we face IF Republicans do not stand in his way. He seemed to forget that Republicans were elected to stand in the way of more spending and to reduce our debt.
I suspect that a lot of people liked what they heard, but as to how any of this will be accomplished, there was nothing.
If you would like to grade the president, go to Reuters and cast your vote.