Here are some facts:
- Going over the fiscal cliff means returning to tax rates that were in place before the George Bush tax cuts were passed. Almost every Democrat in Washington fought tooth and toenail against this bill that was also known as the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001. Now these Democrats are telling us how terrible it will be for the economy if we do not continue this tax relief bill and keep it in effect. Rather than just passing a bill that will keep it in effect, however, they are using it as a blackmail device. They are saying to the other side, “We will allow this good tax relief bill to expire if you do not break your pledge and raise taxes on citizens making $250,000 a year or more.” Freshmen Republicans and a few Democrats understand people making $250,000 or more are the job creators in our economy and they not only have pledged not to raise taxes, they know it will be disastrous for the economy. Democrats have them in a catch 22 predicament.
- Americans for Tax Reform Foundation has put forward a Taxpayer Protection Pledge. In the 112th Congress serving in years 2011 and 2012, all but six of the 242 Republican members plus two Democratic members of the U.S. House of Representatives, for a total of 238 – a majority of that body – as well as all but seven of the 47 Republican members plus one Democratic member of the U.S. Senate, for a total of 41, have signed the Taxpayer Protection Pledge. Many were elected due to their signing of this pledge and the Republicans are now standing by their pledge.
- Obama and the current Democrats are perhaps the first in history to campaign and be elected when running on a platform and pledge to raise taxes. Historically candidates win elections by promising to lower citizens taxes.
- Obama has offered nothing in the way of a balanced budget or real spending cuts. His only interest is raising taxes on the evil rich and spending more money that America does not have. For most of the time he has been MIA, yet he will not agree to anything the Speaker has offered.
I am no longer attempting to use the phrase, WAKE-UP AMERICA! For one thing, it is too late and for another reason, it just isn’t going to happen. Still, I hope a few people will realize that going over the fiscal cliff is just what Democrats want, but once we go over, they give the “blame” to the Republicans. It is like Greg on “The Five” stated, and this is a paraphrase. ‘Democrats get just what they want by going over the Fiscal Cliff – higher taxes and a weaker economy, so it should make them very happy.’
Obama would have you believe that he has done everything in his power to avert this catastrophe and he, much like Pontius Pilate must wash his hands of responsibility for what happens. Has he really tried? What do you think?
I say, Republicans, even the freshmen, or not dumb. They will, however, probably take the political fall, but they are going to have to take a fall either way. Isn’t it better to fall doing the right thing, rather than fall doing the wrong thing. I hope they continue to hold out and keep their pledge not to raise taxes.
- Barack Obama makes 11th hour appeal to avoid fiscal cliff (telegraph.co.uk)
- Fiscal ‘cliff’ deal proving elusive (cnsnews.com)
- You: Boehner: Obama won’t stand up to his own party on ‘fiscal cliff’ (latimes.com)
- Obama calls for vote in next 48 hours (edition.cnn.com)
- Obama’s fiscal trap for Republicans (bbc.co.uk)
- Republican Revolt Praised As Fiscal Cliff Battle Continues (huffingtonpost.com)