The pastor of the church the Obama’s attended on Resurrection Sunday made a political speech. On the Sunday set aside to remember Christ sacrifice for sin and His resurrection, some people could not give Him praise even for one hour without becoming political. Here is what Leon is quoted as saying:
“You can’t go back, you can’t live in the past,” he added. “It drives me crazy when the captains of the religious right are always calling people back…for Blacks to be back in the back of the bus, for women to be back in the kitchen, for gays to be in the closet and for immigrants to be on their side of the border.”
Quite frankly, I am puzzled. I am a member of the religious right. Both blacks and whites attend the church where I worship. We sing together, sit together, and hug one another during fellowship time. I do not recall, in my lifetime, having asked anyone to go to the back of a bus. When were you last asked to sit in the back of the bus or heard someone call for blacks to do this?
I am a woman who had a career. I know many religious right pastors, politicians, and people. I was never once asked to return to the kitchen.
I have heard conservative politicians appoint blacks and women to cabinet positions. I know that immigrants are welcomed, but are asked to obey the laws of our nation. If civil unions are the same thing as closets, then conservatives have asked gays to stay in their closets. If not, then they have not. As for Christians on the right, they suggest that homosexuals obey the teachings of Christ.
So from where is this coming?
I challenge Dr. Leon to find one recent person of national importance who has suggested any of these things he says is driving him crazy. Perhaps he could find one or two out- of-the-mainstream kooks, but how could that drive a normal person crazy?
- Pastor at Obama’s Easter Service Criticizes “Captains of the Religious Right” (townhall.com)
- AWFUL!… During Easter Sermon Obama Accuses Conservatives of Calling for “Blacks to be Back in the Back of the Bus” (thegatewaypundit.com)
- OBAMA SERMON: ‘It drives me crazy when captains of religious right are always calling us back, for blacks to be in back of bus’ (conservativebyte.com)
- Pastor At Obama’s Easter Church Service: ‘Captains Of The Religious Right’ Want Blacks ‘In The Back Of The Bus’ (patdollard.com)
- Google angers Christian right by honouring socialist at Easter – Hamilton Spectator (thespec.com)