55 Bible Passages Teaching Jesus Christ is the Author of Life or Yahweh
(This post is meant to be used as a reference for anyone seeking verses that teach the deity of Jesus Christ.)
Bible basis for belief in the Fullness of God or Godhead (Trinity)
YAHWEH (YHWH) IS GOD!
Deuteronomy 6:4 “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one!
JESUS IS GOD!
John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”
HOLY SPIRIT IS GOD!
Acts 5:4 Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”
Perhaps one of the best ways to understand is a verse that the prophet Zechariah wrote. There are those who have written a religion around the name of God, saying that only those who know Him as Jehovah have any hope. Christianity, however, recognizes the fullness of God as Father, Son (Jesus Christ, and Holy Spirit). Israel knows Him as Yahweh. Zechariah said:
And the LORD will be king (Jesus is King of kings) over all the earth. On that day the LORD (Yahweh) will be one and his name one. Zechariah 14:9
Below are fifty-five verses or passages in the Holy Bible that either state plainly or support the teaching that Jesus Christ, along with the Father, is God. Jesus came in the flesh and now sits at the right hand of God the Father and is coming again. The Holy Spirit fills us, directs us, teaches us, and comforts us. Please spend some time with each if you have doubts.
- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. John 1:1-3
- John 1:14 – And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
- And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. John 17:3
- (Jesus speaking) And now, Father, glorify Me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began. John 17:5
- For by Him [Jesus] all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him (Colossians 1:16)
- But to the Son He says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your Kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness more than Your companions” (Hebrews 1:8–9).
- He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.
- For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from Thee, and they have believed that Thou didst send Me. John 17:8
- “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in Me. John 14:1
- Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know Me, Philip? Whoever has seen Me has seen the Father. John 14: 8-9
- …waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, (Titus 2:13).
- Isaiah 9:6 – For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
- John 20:28 – And Thomas answered and said unto him, my Lord and my God.
- John 8:58 – Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
- Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:23
- Revelation 1:8 – I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
- 1 John 5:20 – And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in Him that is true, [even] in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
- Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
- John 1:3 – All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made.
- Isaiah 44:24 – Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer,
who formed you from the womb:
“I am the LORD, who made all things,
who alone stretched out the heavens,
who spread out the earth by myself,
- Isaiah 7:14 – Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
- John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared [him].
- Matthew 28:9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshiped him.
- Isaiah 43:11 I, [even] I, [am] the LORD; and beside me [there is] no saviour.
- Isaiah 42:08 I [am] the LORD: that [is] my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. (See number 4)
- Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever.
- Hebrews 1:3 Who being the brightness of [his] glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high.
- 1 Timothy 3:16 – And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
- Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
- John 5:18 – Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
- Matthew 28:18 – And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
- Isaiah 44:6 – “Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I [am] the first, and I [am] the last; and beside me [there is] no God.” – Yahweh is identified as the Lord of Hosts in many places. One place is Malachi 3:1
- Revelation 17:14 – These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him [are] called, and chosen, and faithful.
- Revelation 2:8 “And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: ‘The words of the first and the last, who died and came to life.” Isaiah 41:4 identifies Yahweh as “the first and the last”. Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he.
- Jude 1:25 To the only wise God our Saviour, [be] glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forever. Amen. In Isaiah 42:8 Yahweh declares that he will give His glory to no other, yet Christ has that glory. Isaiah 42:8 I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols
- Hebrews 1:6 – And again, when he bringeth in the first begotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
- 2 Corinthians 13:14 – The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, [be] with you all. Amen. ([The second [epistle] to the Corinthians was written from Philippi, [a city] of Macedonia, by Titus and Lucas.])
- 2 Samuel 22:47 “The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock, and exalted be my God, the rock of my salvation; Isaiah 44:8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God (Also translated Rock); I know not any. 1 Corinthians 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
- 2 Peter 1:1 To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ.
- John 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.
- Being in Christ hand and being in the Father’s hand is the same. John 10:28-30 “And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”
- Matthew 18:20 “For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” Omnipresent
- Matthew 28:20 “…lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”
- 1 Timothy 6:15 “…the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;”
- Matthew 4:10 “Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.” Philippians 2:10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth…Matthew 8:2 And, behold, there came a leper and worshiped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean. Matthew 9:18 While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshiped him, saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live. Matthew 28:8 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshiped him. John 9:38 And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshiped him.
- Revelation 1:17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last.
- Psalm 96:12-13 Let the field be joyful, and all that is in it. Then all the trees of the woods will rejoice before the LORD. For He is coming, for He is coming to judge the earth. He shall judge the world with righteousness, and the peoples with His truth. 2 Timothy 4:1 I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom:
- Isaiah 48:17 Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer,
The Holy One of Israel:
“I am the LORD your God,
Who teaches you to profit,
Who leads you by the way you should go. Hebrews 9:12 Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.
- He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. John 1:10.
- Peter, speaking to the men of Israel called Jesus the ‘Author of life’. He said, Acts 3: “14 But you denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, 15 and you killed the Author of life, whom God raised from the dead. To this we are witnesses.”
- Jesus gives us living water. Living Water comes from Yahweh. John 4:10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.” and Jeremiah 32:17 O LORD, the hope of Israel, all who forsake you shall be put to shame; those who turn away from you shall be written in the earth, for they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living water.
- Yahweh the LORD tells us that He is the Shepherd of the sheep. Jesus is identified as being the Shepherd. Ezekiel 34:15 I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep, and I myself will make them lie down, declares the Lord GOD. 17. “As for you, my flock, thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I judge between sheep and sheep, between rams and male goats.” Matthew 25:31-32 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. John 10:14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me…
- Jesus is the One whom they pierced, yet Yahweh speaking said it was He! Zechariah 12:10 And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and pleas for mercy, so that, when they look on me, on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn.
- Zechariah 11:1213 Then the LORD said to me, “Throw it to the potter”—the lordly price at which I was priced by them. So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the LORD, to the potter. Notice who was priced for thirty pieces of silver!
- Then the seventh angel sounded; and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ; and He will reign forever and ever.” Revelation 11:15
The LORD will then be king over all the earth. In that day the LORD will be seen as one with a single name. Zechariah 14:9 ESV
Yahweh will be King over all the earth. In that day Yahweh will be one, and his name one. World English Bible Zechariah 14:9
Some translations capitalize all pronouns that refer to Yahweh and others do not. Whether pronouns appear here in capitals or do not appear in capitals has nothing to do with the meaning of the text. The antecedent of the pronoun determines if the pronoun refers to Yahweh, not whether or not it appears in capitals.