The ‘Millennials’ among us have a totally different concept of freedom today. While they give lip service to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the meaning of the phrase is very different from what it meant to our founding fathers. Many who are not ‘Millennials’ are changing their minds about what is actually meant by liberty.
Consider the following:
- Americans once believed that freedom included economic freedom. This translated into the ability to work and create in order to earn wages and to make and keep any profit. It meant an individual had control of monies earned.
- Attitudes toward a person’s right to keep earned money and attitudes toward taxation have changed dramatically.
Our forefathers fought a war to avoid being taxed by a government who refused to allow them representation in the British Parliament. From 1776 until 1862 Americans paid no tax whatsoever on their income. The 16th amendment was passed in 1913, but not without much opposition. Presidents have traditionally run on the platform of lowering taxes on the American people. George H. Bush lost his bid for re-election because he ran on the slogan “Read my lips, no new taxes.” After running on this campaign promise, Bush announced a compromise with congressional Democrats that would cut $500 billion from the deficit in five years, in part by raising “luxury taxes” on items including yachts and pricey cars, among other tax hikes. It cost him the election. How attitudes have changed!
Will Rogers said: “The difference between death and taxes is death doesn’t get worse every time Congress meets.”
Today we have a national party running on the promise to raise taxes so more people will prosper. This has been unheard of in our past.
Also it’s important to note that the rich not only pay most taxes in this country, they pay all the taxes, according to one of NBC’s own (albeit buried) reports. When it comes to individual income taxes, the top 40 percent of wage earners in America pay 106 percent of the taxes. The bottom 40 percent…pay negative 9 percent.
Still, ‘Millennials’ believe that rich people are not paying taxes, do not deserve to keep what they have, and many believe that the only way to remedy this situation is take from the rich and give to the poor. This of course must be done by and through government. Government becomes the middle-man who takes the money and decides just who deserves the earned wages and how much each person should or should not receive. The government calls it a redistribution of wealth and the new generations appear to have bought into the idea and have not considered that redistribution almost always ends up being influenced more by politicians than by poverty. Real poverty has increased rather than decreased under Obama.
- 2. Americans once believed that having equal rights meant the same rights under the law. New attitudes seem to be that rights must be modified to include behaviors in which a person desires to engage. In America, and traditionally through-out the world, men and women have been free to form a marital union in order to establish a family unit and continue the human species in a cohesive unit.
- Attitudes toward homosexual behavior and traditional marriage have changed.
How did this happen? In 2008 every candidate who ran for office stated that they believed marriage is a sacred union between a man and a woman.
And then something occurred. Barack Obama called it “evolution.” Originally evolution was taught as natural selection and was also the process which selects the variation(s) of organisms best suited for a particular environment for survival of a species. I fail to see how Mr. Obama’s evolving furthers the species, however, it has certainly furthered the cause of progressives who want the vote of that minority. It has also triggered the “evolving” of millions of Americans, including Hillary Clinton, who at one time believed differently.
There are still some who hold to traditional marriage because the Bible says: “Male and female created He them; and blessed them…” and ” If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination… ” It is not politically correct to extend liberty in America to these people. There is now an active group called ‘Southern Poverty Law Center’ who have labelled the American Family Association as a ‘hate group’ because they support traditional marriage. Those who take a stand are not tolerated by much of the ‘main-stream’ media.
Like it or not, we all had equal rights before the Supreme Court decided homosexuals have a constitutional right to marry. Prior to this ruling all Americans had the right to engage in a traditional marriage or refrain from engaging in a traditional marriage. All other options were illegal for all people. Many other options still are illegal, so is this discrimination? Is it discrimination against someone who wants to marry a person who is already married if we have a law against bigamy? Is a person who wishes to marry his sister being discriminated against in America? I don’t think so.
- Historically freedom has included the right to defend one’s self and one’s family against those who wish to bring harm to that person or to their dependents. Only those who committed criminal behavior were faced with punitive actions.
- A person’s right to defend themselves is no longer considered a guaranteed right, even though the Constitution still has the 2nd Amendment. Many people believe this right should be revoked from all law-abiding citizens.
Hillary Clinton believes we should follow Australia in their ‘efforts to regulate gun ownership.
With each new criminal act in the United States of America, politicians renew their mantra that our 2nd amendment rights are the cause of the deaths. “If only we had more gun control laws…” we would have less crime. Statistics show just the opposite, but no one really cares about statistics. The new America looks to leaders they trust to have their best interest at heart. This seems to be because they are 1.) ignorant of world history (ie Hitler, Stalin, Saddam Hussein and many others) or are 2.) too busy with electronics to actually consider the dire consequences of being wrong.
Barack Obama has definitely kept one campaign promise. He has transformed America, but he did not do it alone.