We know that religious leaders did not respond well to the miracles and words of Jesus. They were angry because Christ identified Himself as the Son of God which meant He was equal to God. They were fearful that He would take away their power in the synagogue and they were jealous of His power and popularity.
- “How is it that this man has learning, when he has never studied?”
- “No one ever spoke like this man!”
- “Never since the world began has it been heard that anyone opened the eyes of a man born blind.”
- “John did no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true.”
- ” If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him…”
- “… Look, the world has gone after him.”
- “We have seen extraordinary things today.”
- “Who then is this, that he commands even winds and water, and they obey him?”
- “We never saw anything like this!”
- “He has done all things well. He even makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.”
- “Come, see a man who told me all that I ever did.”
- “We have found the Messiah” (which is, being interpreted, “the Christ”).
- “Truly this man was the Son of God!
It is worth adding here that in the original manuscript translators added a word to John 8:24 with the intention of clarifying the text. It was the word ‘He.’
23And He was saying to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.
The people must have heard Jesus say, ‘for unless you believe that I AM, you will die in your sins.’