Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes,will find watching ”Luke 12: 35-26
Because Jesus told His disciples and us repeatedly to watch, stay awake, keep on guard, be vigilant, should we not do just that? Satan is always seeking to enslave people. Jesus sets people free.
~ TEN WARNING SIGNS ~
You are ensnared or will be if you follow a religion that:
1. Has human leaders who claim absolute authority. (The Bible teaches that Christ has been given all authority by the Father. Matthew 28:18)
2. Makes changes to the word of God to shape it to their doctrine rather than shaping their doctrine by the word of God. We are warned not to do this. (Deuteronomy 4:2, 1 Corinthians 4:6, Proverbs 30:6, Revelation 22:18-19)
3. Teaches that listening to anyone or studying materials written by someone who isn’t in their organization is dangerous. They forget that Jesus and His disciples listened to the Pharisees and Scribes as well as the common man and that Jesus said, “He that is of God, hears God’s words…” We have the Holy Spirit within us to give us discernment and to teach us, so that we are able to live without fear. “Greater is He that is within you, than He that is in the world.”
4. Discourages members from associating with those (even family) outside their organization. Christ taught that only in Him are we different than the world and He chooses those to become members of His body – the Church. Earthly organizations are just that – earthly. Christ ate and drank with sinners and publicans.
5. Requires that everyone believe, teach, and study the same thing. This discourages individuals from private study and thinking. Consider 2 Timothy 2:15, Jeremiah 31:34, Hebrews 8:11
6. Says one thing while meaning something entirely different; i.e., they may sound much like Christ or Christianity on the surface, but often have changed words and their meanings. The ‘gospel’ will have a different meaning from the true gospel that is given in 1 Corinthians 15:1-8. Other words may take on meanings that the cult assigns to them rather than their original meanings. Changes may be subtle, but deadly. Proverbs 30:6 “Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.”
7. Have secret doctrines, about which only their members know. Doctrine and truth are different. Doctrine is something’ held to by a group of people. Truth is universal. God wants all men everywhere to know the Truth. God’s Word is Truth. If doctrine is more important than the Truth, beware!
8. Keeps members in a state of uncertainty concerning their salvation. They discourage members from fully trusting Christ’s words; i.e., “Jesus said to her, I am [Myself] the Resurrection and the Life. Whoever believes in (adheres to, trusts in, and relies on) Me, although he may die, yet he shall live;” They fail to believe what John wrote in 1 John 5:13: I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.
9. Make members accountable to cult leaders who put themselves in God’s place or who claim to have a direct connection to God rather than accountable to God. Members may worry more about the ‘leadership’ finding out about their sins than they worry about disobeying God.
10. Publish material they claim to be the word of God and equal to the Holy Bible. Ecclesiastes 12:12 My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end…
Some of this was taken from Recognizing Cults at the Gospel.org. Other parts were taken from listening to those who have been deceived by false religion and comparing their beliefs to the Scriptures.
If a religion claims to believe the Bible, yet doesn’t teach the following verses you should beware:
And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbade him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us. – Luke 9:49-50
But ye say, “Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;” and honor not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition. – Matthew 15:5-6
And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. – 1 Corinthians 2:1-2
If a religion “qualifies” truths found in the Bible to fit it into their doctrine, beware!