WHAT KIND OF GATE IS JESUS?
I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. (John 10:9)
Gates do two things.
Gates allow some to enter and keep others out.
Jesus is the Gate to the sheepfold.
The sheepfold contains those sheep cared for by the Shepherd. For Christians, being in the sheepfold means being in the family of the LORD (YHWH).
The LORD (YHWH) is my Shepherd. Psalm 23:1
Kevin Ruffcorn in his book, I Am the Gate, gives some very telling information about a shepherd and his sheepfold.
Shepherds would become the gate to the sheep fold. They would lie in front of the opening to the fold so that nothing could enter without them knowing. Human gates provided entrance to the fold and protection from threats outside.
Jesus, being the gate, permits only the sheep known by the Master to go in and keeps all others out.
Being the Gate, He opens to some and closes to others.
Rev. Ruffcorn also points out that the shepherds in Israel knew their sheep by name and the sheep knew them. Shepherds provided a place of safety and also pasture for their sheep. Jesus does the same. That is why we read:
I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. John 10:9
Phillip Keller pointed out in A Shepherd Looks At Psalm 23 that the shepherd made it his business to see to the safety and security of every sheep in the fold.
If an earthly shepherd kept his sheep safe, how much more will the Son of God keep those who are trusting in Him safe? Jesus answered that question when He said, “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them out of My hand.” John 10:28
JESUS AS ‘THE GATE’ REVEALS
- Jesus is the only way into the sheepfold and the family of God.
- Jesus is the One who keeps all believers secure and saved.
- Jesus keeps all who would harm His sheep out of the sheepfold or the true family of God.
- Jesus knows your name if you are within the sheepfold or the family of God.
- Jesus provides pasture or the necessities of life for the sheepfold or the family of God.
- Jesus gives eternal life to those in the sheepfold or the family of God.
- Jesus has a personal relationship with each on in the family of God and they know Him and His voice.
- Jesus is illustrating the truth revealed in John 14:6 when He said, “… No one comes to the Father except through me.”
- Jesus is the LORD (YHWH), the Good Shepherd.
- Jesus will Judge those who are unwilling to enter through the door but seek to enter God’s kingdom another way.